Frequently Asked Questions

Enter one or more words to search through our frequently asked questions

or select one of the categories to see all questions and answers for that category


I have (pre-)settled status and want to take out a mortgage or account with a bank or building society  in the UK. The mortgage/account provider is asking me for proof of immigration status and/or a share code. What do I need to do?

If you are an EEA/Swiss citizen your (pre-)settled status is a digital-only status.

To use your digital status to prove immigration status, you will need to generate a ‘share code’.

Firstly, you will need to sign into the View and Prove service - see this FAQ  if you need more details.

Once you are logged in and can see your status, scroll down click ‘prove your status’.

You will then need to choose the reason why you are sharing your information. Choose “something else”.

You will be presented with a share code which will be valid for 90 days.

You will need to provide the share code, along with your date of birth, to the bank or building society. They will then be able to check your status via

This share code will not work for a right to work check: or a right to rent check:

See the Government’s guidance document for full details at

If you have any problems, see this FAQ

If you are a non-EEA/Swiss citizen and have a physical EU Settlement Scheme biometric residence card, you have the choice to use your card or your digital status to prove your immigration status. To upgrade an EEA residence card to an EU Settlement Scheme residence card, see

If you feel you have been treated unfairly by your bank or building society, complain to the Financial Ombudsman