Frequently Asked Questions

Enter one or more words to search through our frequently asked questions

or select one of the categories to see all questions and answers for that category


I am a British-EU dual national, will I be able to use an EHIC card when I visit other EU countries?

It depends on whether you exercised treaty rights before naturalising to become British. If you have, then you and your family members (of any nationality including British), will be entitled to use an EHIC card since you are covered by the Withdrawal Agreement.

You will need to apply for a new one here, as existing EHIC cards will stop being valid after 31 December 2020. At the moment only some categories of people can apply, but the site should be open for all people with (pre-)settled status soon.

If you are traveling after January, and you need treatment but have been unable to obtain a new EHIC card yet, you can contact Overseas Healthcare Services.

The Government has published staff guidance which gives helpful examples of EHIC entitlement.

© the3million 2020    Contact Us     About Us     We respect your privacy. Read our policy here