Frequently Asked Questions

Enter one or more words to search through our frequently asked questions

or select one of the categories to see all questions and answers for that category


Can members of my family join me in the UK?

If you are an EU citizen who holds pre-settled status or settled status (or is waiting for a decision on an EU Settlement Scheme application), you can be joined by your family members in the UK at any time in the future.

This includes:

  • Your spouse, civil partner or unmarried partner (as long as they were already your spouse or registered partner at the end of the transition period, 31 Dec 2020)

  • Your spouse or civil partner (if you are a Swiss citizen, and they are your spouse or civil partner before 31 Dec 2025)

  • Your or your spouse/partner’s children under the age of 21

  • Your or your spouse/partner’s direct descendants dependent relatives (children, grandchildren etc)

  • Your or your spouse/partner’s direct ascendant dependent relatives (parents, grandparents etc).

Family members of EU citizens who are granted a status under the EU Settlement Scheme do not automatically have the same status as their relatives. If the family member has been living in the UK with the EU citizen, then they might get settled status if the EU citizen is granted this status. If the family member is joining the EU citizen in the UK, then they will be granted pre-settled status.

Please be aware that if the family member is applying to join the EU citizen in the UK, then they will need to obtain a family permit ( or make an EU Settlement Scheme application from abroad (if eligible - to enter the UK before travelling.  See for more information. Note, they should apply within 90 days of their arrival in the UK if they enter the UK with an EUSS Family Permit.

In order to apply, you will have to fill in the application form, provide required documents and provide your biometric information.

Durable partners need to show that their relationship to the EU citizen began before the 31st December 2020 and must show evidence of this relationship which can include a family permit, a residence card, or other evidence showing that the relationship has been durable. More information on this can be found here:

For more information visit: