Frequently Asked Questions

Enter one or more words to search through our frequently asked questions

or select one of the categories to see all questions and answers for that category


Will I lose my pre-/settled status if I travel for holidays? Will a visa be required for me to return to the UK?

No, you will not lose your pre/settled-status if you travel for holidays.

With pre-settled status, you are able to stay outside the UK for up to 6 months in total in any 12-month period without breaking your continuous residence period in the UK. If you spend more than a total of 6 months in any 12-month period outside the UK, however, you will not be able to convert your pre-settled status to settled status (indefinite leave to remain). There are some exceptions to this, see our FAQ on continuous residence for more information.

If you already have settled status, you can stay outside the UK for a period of up to 5 years without losing your status. (See also this FAQ on settled status 5-year absences)

NOTE: If you are a non-EU citizen, you will need to have a valid biometric residence card, family permit or travel permit in order to board a carrier when returning to the UK - see for more detail.