Frequently Asked Questions

Enter one or more words to search through our frequently asked questions

or select one of the categories to see all questions and answers for that category


I have applied for (pre-) settled status and am awaiting confirmation. Can I use my EU national identity card to enter the UK?

You can use your EEA or Swiss national identity card to enter the UK if all of the following are true:

  • you’ve applied for settled or pre-settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme, or Jersey, Guernsey or the Isle of Man’s settlement schemes

  • you’ve been issued with confirmation your application is valid

  • you’re not applying as a joining family member (i.e. you lived in the UK before 31 December 2020)

If you did not apply for EUSS status using your ID card, then make sure you also carry the ID document that your EUSS status is linked to, in order to prove that you have a pending EUSS application. This is because you can’t link new ID documents to your application until your status has been granted. It is also advisable to carry evidence that you lived in the UK before 31 December 2020.

Full details at

See also this statement, and a series of FAQs, by the European Commission:

Note: We are aware that currently some member states including Sweden are not allowing their nationals to travel from that member state to the UK without a passport. We will provide an update as soon as possible.