Frequently Asked Questions

Enter one or more words to search through our frequently asked questions

or select one of the categories to see all questions and answers for that category


Do National Insurance contributions count as proof of the time someone has been in the UK? How can I use it to prove my residence?

Yes, if you were consistently working, your National Insurance Contributions record will show that, unless you were a posted worker. 

You can request your records for free from HMRC here:

Your DWP records can equally show presence in the UK. These records can also be requested for free, here:

Please also refer to the Young Europeans guide on demystifying citizenship, which has a list of other requests for information you can make to prove your continuous residence.