Frequently Asked Questions

Enter one or more words to search through our frequently asked questions

or select one of the categories to see all questions and answers for that category


I am an employer, landlord or service provider who needs to get proof of an EU citizen’s settlement status. What do I need to ask for? What is a share code?

Proof of EU settlement status is only available online (except non EU family members who may have a biometric card). You will need to ask the applicant to provide you with a share code.

If you have been given a share code, select the relevant service below, then enter the share code and the citizen’s date of birth in order to view their status information and conduct the relevant check.

The share code can be used as many times as needed within 90 days of being generated. At the end of the 90 days, the code will no longer be valid, and you will no longer be able to access the information unless you are provided with another code.

Important: someone who is still waiting for a decision from the Home Office, who applied for status before 1 July 2021, has all their rights protected. You must not discriminate against them.

Links to guidance and checking websites:



Other service providers: