Frequently Asked Questions

Enter one or more words to search through our frequently asked questions

or select one of the categories to see all questions and answers for that category


I have settled status in the UK, but currently working in an EU country. Will I be able to apply for naturalisation as a British citizen?

It would probably be difficult for you to meet the residence requirements of no absences in excess of 450 days across the 5 year period, and no absences in excess of 90 days in the last year. However, if you expect your main home to be the UK again in the near future, you should look at when discretion can be exercised by UKVI in relation to excess absences, from page 16 in the naturalisation guidance for HO staff.