Frequently Asked Questions

Enter one or more words to search through our frequently asked questions

or select one of the categories to see all questions and answers for that category


Should I have had CSI during periods I was unemployed?

STOP PRESS - See this FAQ for important information on Comprehensive Sickness Insurance.

Recent developments will likely affect many areas including nationality, naturalisation, registration, access to benefits and more. The answer given below is therefore now out of date.

In the meantime, if you believe you are affected, please seek legal advice. If you have suffered loss because of past decisions where the Home Office said you did not meet the CSI requirement, please email us at .


If you registered for Job Seekers’ Allowance during those gaps of unemployment, you wouldn’t need to have CSI.  

If you registered with the Job Centre in between employments, you will have maintained your worker status. 

It is also worth querying whether an EEA or Swiss family member was exercising treaty rights by being a worker at the time of your unemployment so that you could be considered a lawful resident by deriving your rights from them.

Note: this question, like other FAQs on Comprehensive Sickness Insurance (CSI), relates to applications for British citizenship, when considering whether periods of past residence were lawful.

CSI was not required to apply for pre-settled or settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme. Once pre-settled or settled status has been granted, you are lawfully resident, and you do not need CSI.