Frequently Asked Questions

Enter one or more words to search through our frequently asked questions

or select one of the categories to see all questions and answers for that category


What is the employment threshold to be considered as a worker and not as a student or self-sufficient person for CSI purposes?

If you were working more than an average of 10 hours per week and you were not absent for 6 months or more in any of the years you were a resident in the UK, you might be considered as having “gainful employment”. If you worked part-time during your studies and that was an average of more than 10 hours a week, you can submit your naturalisation application as a worker rather than as a  student, thus you would not need CSI.

Note: this question, like other FAQs on Comprehensive Sickness Insurance (CSI), relates to applications for British citizenship, when considering whether periods of past residence were lawful.

CSI is not required to apply for pre-settled or settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme. Also, once pre-settled or settled status is granted, you are lawfully resident, and you do not need CSI.