How can I try to ask for discretion for not having CSI?

If you are asking the Home Office to apply discretion to your naturalisation application for not having CSI during your time as a student or self-sufficient person, it is worth writing to your University or to your GPs asking why you were never told about the need to apply for CSI. 

Although we cannot guarantee this would be approved by the caseworker, it is worth demonstrating that you had not been made aware of the need for CSI by key institutions. 

However, please see our FAQ Can I lose my family reunion rights if I am granted citizenship by discretion for not having CSI in the past?

Note: this question, like other FAQs on Comprehensive Sickness Insurance (CSI), relates to applications for British citizenship, when considering whether periods of past residence were lawful.

CSI was not required to apply for pre-settled or settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme. Once pre-settled or settled status has been granted, you are lawfully resident, and you do not need CSI.