As a self-employed person that pays both Class 2 and Class 4 contributions, am I exempt from paying CSI or do my contributions cover CSI?

STOP PRESS - See this FAQ for important information on Comprehensive Sickness Insurance.

Recent developments will likely affect many areas including nationality, naturalisation, registration, access to benefits and more. The answer given below is therefore now out of date.

In the meantime, if you believe you are affected, please seek legal advice. If you have suffered loss because of past decisions where the Home Office said you did not meet the CSI requirement, please email us at .


If you have paid both classes of national insurance contributions, this indicates that you were a qualified person as a self employed worker. The work needs to have been genuine and effective however (see this guidance, p 13). If this is the case, the CSI requirement does not apply to you.

Note: this question, like other FAQs on Comprehensive Sickness Insurance (CSI), relates to applications for British citizenship, when considering whether periods of past residence were lawful.

CSI is not required to apply for pre-settled or settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme. Also, once pre-settled or settled status is granted, you are lawfully resident, and you do not need CSI.