Are there any exceptions to the rule that pre-settled status will be lost if one spends more than two years outside of the UK? For example, what if my employer asks me to work abroad?

If you have pre-settled status and you spend more than a period of 2 continuous years outside of the UK, your pre-settled status will be lost. There are no exceptions made to this rule. With regards to continuous residence (i.e. that you must reside in the UK for at least 6 months in any 12 months period for at least 5 years to be able to convert your pre-settled status to settled status), however, there is an exception in that you are allowed to have one single absence of up to 12 months for an important reason (which may possibly include an overseas posting for work see the definition of ‘Continuous qualifying period’ in this Government caseworker guidance). If, however, you exceed this, you will lose your ability to convert your pre-settled status to settled status.

For more information, see