Can members of my family join me in the UK?

If you are an EU citizen who holds pre-settled status or settled status (or is eligible to hold either status), you can be joined by your family members in the UK at any time in the future. 

This includes:

  • Your spouse, civil partner or unmarried partner (as long as they were already your spouse or registered partner at the end of the transition period, 31 Dec 2020)

  • Your or your spouse/partner’s children under the age of 21

  • Your or your spouse/partner’s direct descendants dependent relatives (children, grandchildren etc)

  • Your or your spouse/partner’s direct ascendant dependent relatives (parents, grandparents etc).

When they join you in the UK, they will need to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme within three months of arrival.

Family members of EU citizens who have been granted a status under the EU Settlement Scheme do not automatically have the same status as their relatives. If the family member has been living in the UK with the EU citizen, then they might get settled status if the EU citizen is granted this status. If the family member is joining the EU citizen in the UK, then they will be granted pre-settled status. Please be aware that if the family member is applying to join the EU citizen in the UK, then they will need to make an EU Settlement Scheme application to enter the UK before travelling - see

In order to apply, you will have to fill in the application form, provide required documents and provide your biometric information.

Non-durable partners need to show that their relationship to the EU citizen began before the 31st December 2020 and must show evidence of this relationship which can include a family permit, a residence card, or other evidence showing that the relationship has been durable. More information on this can be found here:

For more information visit: