I have applied for (pre-) settled status but am still waiting for a decision. If I travel abroad, how will I prove my rights to UK Border control to come back to the UK?

We recommend that when you travel, you always keep the passport / identity document / residence card with you with which you applied to the EU Settlement Scheme. It would also be a good idea to print out the letter that was emailed to you when you applied, which has a title ‘Certificate of Application’. You should also carry some evidence that you were living in the UK before 31 December 2020.

For more information on the rights you have with a Certificate of Application, see https://www.the3million.org.uk/rights-enter-uk

NOTE: If you are a non-EU citizen, you will need to have a valid biometric residence card, family permit or travel permit in order to board a carrier when returning to the UK - see https://www.the3million.org.uk/faq-1/rights-enter-uk for more detail.