Frequently Asked Questions

Enter one or more words to search through our frequently asked questions

or select one of the categories to see all questions and answers for that category


I am an EU citizen, and have started my course at a British university online. What can I do if I do not have settled/pre-settled status and I did not arrive in the UK before 31 December due to the pandemic?

If you have visited the UK in the past, but more than six months ago, you will likely not be able to show a ‘continuous residence’ that started before 31 December 2020. The Government have recently published their Covid guidance for the EU Settlement Scheme, which says “If you are a student who was studying in the UK and are studying outside the UK because of coronavirus, that absence will not cause you to break your continuous qualifying period, where it is for a single period of more than 6 months but not more than 12 months, during your 5-year continuous qualifying period."

If you are not eligible to apply for pre-settled status, you will instead need to apply for a student visa under the new Immigration System.

If you are in any doubt about your absences, use this simple form to answer some YES / NO questions to check your situation:


© the3million 2021    Contact Us     About Us    We respect your privacy. Read our policy here