What do you need to know after you have applied?


1. Check your email for the outcome of your application.

Check your email regularly, the approval letter will be sent to the email address you provided for your application. This can take a few days, but sometimes several weeks. Do check your Spam folder too, it can end up there. When received, print it out or keep it in an accessible folder on your email for future reference. Although this is not proof of your status, you may need the information in the letter later, when you need to update the information held by the Home Office.

2. Make sure you don’t lose your status

With Settled Status you can leave the UK for a period of up to five years. If you stay away longer, you may lose your status. However, you only have to come back to the UK for a few days to make sure you keep your status.

Pre-Settled Status is temporary and valid for just five years. You must apply for Settled Status within that period, if you want to stay in the UK for longer.

But be careful! If you want to qualify for settled status, you must live in the UK at least six months for every 12-month period. The Home Office may agree with an absence of up to one year for a very serious reason, such as giving birth or a serious illness, but check with them first.

You can leave for up to two years, but the five years UK residence you need for Settled Status will start again from the date of your return. If your return date is after the end of the transition period, you will not be able to apply under the EU Settlement Scheme and instead will have to apply for leave to enter under whatever new immigration rules are implemented in the UK.

If you leave for more than two years, you lose your pre-Settled Status.

3. From pre-Settled Status to Settled Status

You can apply for Settled Status as soon as you complete your five years of residence in the UK. You don’t have to wait until your pre-Settled Status runs out. Make sure you do apply. If you don’t, you will lose your legal status in the UK.  For here more information about how Settled Status is more secure than pre-Settled Status. 

4. What if you change your personal or contact details?

You must update the information held by the Home Office if you change your mobile phone number or email address. This is important. If you don’t, you may have serious problems maintaining and proving your status when needed. You can update your details online. Go to your online profile and choose the link: “Update your details”. Click on the details you want to update. Save them and make sure you keep a record of what you have done.

5. What if you get a new passport or ID card?

If you get a new passport or ID card, you must update your data online and inform the Home Office.

  1. Make a copy of your new passport or ID card, and keep it safe.

  2. Go to your online profile and choose the link: “Update your details”.

  3. Choose "Identity Documents" and update as required. Now download and print the two-page file called “New Identity Document", the cover sheet and the checklist.

  4. Place the letter and your new ID document in an envelope. Write your application reference number on the front of the envelope, together with the Home Office address, as given on the web page.

  5. Also include a return envelope with your own address on it and franked for Special Delivery. The post office will do this for you, so don’t seal the envelope until this is done.

  6. Take the envelope to the post office and send the package Special Delivery, after you have also had the return envelope franked and you have sealed everything in the envelope with the Home Office address and your number.


This is the most secure way and will make sure your documents reach the Home Office safely and are returned to you quickly.

Note that the Home Office has said that it is looking at improving the application by allowing people to make these changes through the "Update my Details" function and scanning their new ID documents, so that they do not need be physically posted to the Home Office.

6. How to view and prove your status to third parties (employers, landlords, etc)

If you are an EU citizen, you will not be given physical proof of your status. The confirmation email and the pdf letter you receive are not proof of your status.

Please note that until 30th June 2021 you only need to use your EU Passport or ID card to confirm your status and rights in the UK. 

However, you can view your status online via this link: https://www.gov.uk/view-prove-immigration-status.

You will also be able to use this same link to prove to someone, like a landlord or employer, that you have the status (but you will only need to do so after 30th June 2021): 

1. Go into your online profile and choose the option “Prove your status to someone”

2. You will need to answer the following questions:

What identity document did you use in your application? 

- Passport

- National identity card

- Biometric residence card (BRC)

Enter your passport/ID card/ BRC number

Enter your date of birth

3. Confirm who you are

A 6-digit code will be sent to your phone or email address, depending on what you have specified. The code is valid for a limited time and you can enter this yourself to check your status, or pass this to someone else if they need to check your status.

For more information about Brexit and EU citizens, see also:

If you have any questions or problems, you can call the Home Office Resolution Centre: 0300 123 7379

© the3million 2021    Contact Us     About Us    We respect your privacy. Read our policy here